St George’s School
During the First World War the War Office acquired St George’s School to be used as a Military Hospital. The pupils were moved out to other local schools and the halls and corridors were used to house the sick and wounded. It was chosen because it was a new school “with good light and ventilation and [which] from every point of view would make [a] good hospital.”
The first patients are reported as being admitted in July 1915.
For the duration of the Heritage Open Days, we are hoping to convert the Parish Rooms back into a ward of the Millitary Hospital.
St George’s Church
St George’s church have commissioned a local photographer, Naomi Jones, to produce an installation commemorating the 137 men whose names appear on the War Memorial. She will be photographing the front doors of the home addresses of the men and they will be displayed together with a short biography and details from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
These will be on display for the duration of the Heritage Open Days.
We will also be serving refreshments.